I had an interesting guest for coffee last week (I typically offer cookies, too, but the cookie jar is empty.. it's been too hot to bake.) Anyway, she is a sweet, young thing who was a delight to meet and hear from.
She is a new college grad with some interesting background experiences I think will serve her well in the new job she has at Tabitha. I think I've mentioned they are experimenting in a building that will be called The Intergenerational Center, where 60% of the apartments will be for elders, and the other 40% for student nurses or other health career learners.
So, you can see where they came up with the name, the Intergenerational Center. Ground is already broken, and they hope to be move in ready in one year. We old folks are rapidly outpacing all other generations; Eastmont, on O Street, is also in a building program, adding to its existing apartments. They are also going to have an indoor pool, which senior citizens seem to like. I know I do. But I haven't committed to either one.. I like where I'm at!!
Lauryl was involved in the Lutheran Student Center while at the U as they, too, built a new facility. There is an upper level to it with eleven small apartments, in which students could live. She was the “leader/facilitator” and had the task of coming up with covenants, rules, and such to guide a sort of communal living style. I can only imagine!
Then, on Saturday, a tall, handsome dude came to pick me up to take me to his Mom's house just a few minutes away, where my nurse friend, Connie, also lives. This was her grandson, here from Minneapolis for the internment of his grandfather's ashes in the veteran's area at Wyuka Cemetery. The headstones are all white, like we see in military burial grounds.
By the time we arrived at the entrance, there was quite a gathering of friends from Norfolk, Navy buddies, old neighbors, friends from church, co-workers. We followed the guide to that area, which is new, compared to a lot of this old cemetery, which has been on East O street for as long as Lincoln has been a city. (Or a town, or a village.)
A son-in-law did the honors, a granddaughter spoke of her memories of PaPa, especially of his big hugs, that literally squeezed the breath out of her! And a grandson offered a few more good recollections. Then, an honor brigade from Offutt Air Base did the military salute. We were told they volunteer for this, on their days off, because they think it's important.
I can't listen to Taps without tears; in fact, I have some now as I write about it. But all in all, it was memorable, and fitting. Doug would have been pleased..
And then, of course, it was time for lunch; one of his favorites, hot dogs! And potato salad, and baked beans, and fruit salad, and lemonade, and tea, and lots of conversation and memories! I believe that is just as important as the ceremony; and we did justice to it all. I had to go back home and take a nap! This old lady can't tolerate as much activity as she used to!!
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here